Sunday, November 22, 2009

I Am Not A Fat Acceptor

If you have been following this blog, you know that my troubles stem from posting in a Usenet group called soc-support-fat.acceptance. The moment I posted that the so-called people trolling the group and ridiculing the posters there were idiots, I have been a target. I am not going to re-state the attempts by these same fools to ruin my life other that to say that I will persevere.

I am not a fat acceptor. At no time during my posting history did I say I was. I have no problem paying extra for larger clothing. (They had better FIT though!). I have no problem paying for more room on an airplane should I need it. (I fit into a standard seat and do not require a seat belt extender.) Sadly, even though that I believe legislation should not be needed to force people to give a fat person a fair chance in the workplace, it is necessary because it seems that fat bashing is the last safe prejudice, according to the people that are harassing me. Because of all this, I now have a new motto: "I am not pro fat-I am anti-idiot."

In all of this, I think I have learned a lot about the human condition: I learned why race riots are possible. I learned why the civil rights legislation was necessary. I learned that heroes are made from the most unlikely substrate. I learn how an evil like Hitler was possible. I learned how innuendo can destroy someone if it is allowed to do so. I learned that everyone deserves respect unless they show why it is not deserved. My knowledge of psychology has deepened and my analysis has gotten keener.

So, do I regret taking a stand against idiocy? No. Even with the pain and anxiety and harassment, I have become the victor. It has made me a better person. I will have my day in the sun and my faith in human nature will be vindicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment